Thursday, October 29, 2009

An Erin by any other (nick)name...

Some of you might remember a post I did in February about names (and more names). I'm totally fascinated by Slavic names and am ALWAYS asking questions about them. I'll probably do more posts about names before my time here is finished, but I just wanted to fill you in on all the different names I've accumulated whilst living here.

I'm not a super nick-namey kind of girl. I basically have two: one that my sister has been calling me since she could speak, and "Brass" or "Brassy" (coming from my last name), which came into being once I went to college. Other than that, I don't really have nicknames. I mean, you don't really do much to the name Erin. It's rather short. If you assimilate into Ukrainian culture, however, the nickname result is something like this:
1. Erinochka
2. Erinichka
3. Erinka
4. Erukha
5. Irka
6. Irichka
7. Irka Americanka
8. Solnichka
9. Irka Ukrainka (if I've done something particularly Ukrainian that warms the hearts of my Ukrainian audience...this one is rare, but I'll claim it)

In addition to these modifications to my name, Slavic-style, you get the "unusual" pronunciations and spellings of my name:
1. Pronounced: "Eh-REEN"
2. Pronounced: "Ay-REEN"
3. Pronounced: "I-rehn"
4. Spelled: Irene
5. Spelled: Iren
6. In one case, spelled: Erril

As far as I know, there aren't separate personalities that match up with the names. I do feel like I'll be nicknaming everyone when I return to the States. Be forewarned: I might be adding an -ichka to your name, friend.

1 comment:

Kat said...

haha, I love Irka Americanka. There is no escaping your cultural background in Ukraine.