Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Visa: Check.

I got my visa! Thanks for your prayers. It was a painless process but it was a COLD two-day process. Weather.com let me down...

Today was the first day that the sun has been out, which has been great...but it has also been very frigid. I had to buy a pair of gloves and a hat. Oh man. Winter is upon us.

A few facts about Hungary:
1. Budapest is divided by the Danube River into two parts: Buda and Pest.
2. The Hungarian language is "Magyar" in Hungarian.
3. The currency is the Forint.
4. Goulash is the national dish. I haven't had it yet, but it's on the to-do list.
5. Hungarian is not a Cyrillic language, and I have no idea how to read it. Frustrating.
6. There is a very efficient and user-friendly public transportation system here. I'm in love with it.
7. You do not have to take your own bag to the store.
8. You can hand money directly into the cashier's hand. I'm going to have a very hard time breaking the money-exchange-at-the-store habit. In Ukraine, you never hand money directly into the cashier's hand; there's a little dish thing that you put your money on. They take it and put your change back on the dish. You don't do that in Hungary.
9. You can flush the toilet paper!
10. So far, I haven't had to pay to use a public toilet. Yesssss.

I'll do some more studying up on Hungarian culture. I have only taken one picture since I've been here! I haven't done much sightseeing yet, so I'm blaming it on that. Hopefully, I'll remedy that soon.

4 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

Ha! I'm laughing at your "money dish" section! Sometimes I rebel against that "rule" and put it in their hand somehow.

National dish is goulash?! interesting.

Sounds like an interesting time. Congrats on the visa!

M & M said...

I had a close Hungarian friend with whom I visited and toured Hungary one summer. Have been back once since. She referred me to a great book on Hungarian culture. Will have to try to remember the name.
Enjoy~

Molly said...

Visa...Check! Yesss.

Ms. Teach said...

Oh, the things we American's take for granted....free toilets and actually flushing the paper! Enjoy it while you can! I'm waiting for those pictures.....