Sunday, October 25, 2009

Long trip home

My time in Germany was wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that I decided to visit it twice. In one day.

How does that work, you might ask.

Here's the story:
I left the conference center around 7:00 am on Friday morning. A very kind and compassionate carful of people gave me a ride to the airport, seeing as how I needed to get there before the shuttle was going to be going. I arrived at the airport at 8:40ish and got all checked in for my flight to Budapest, where I would have a 45 minute layover before continuing to Kiev. I was supposed to arrive in Kiev at 3:25 pm and catch a bus to Poltava at 5:30. If you'll notice, this travel description includes a lot of planned travel stops.

"Planned" being the key word.

The weather in Frankfurt was awful. Remember the plague of darkness? Yes, well substitute "fog" for "darkness" and you have a pretty accurate description of the weather. So, my flight was delayed by almost 2 hours. Obviously, by the time I arrived in Budapest, my flight to Kiev had left. I was given a voucher for lunch and was told I was being rerouted. To Munich.

Back to Germany. Good thing I like it.

I had a 4 hour layover in Budapest before heading to Munich. In Munich, my flight to Kiev was delayed by an hour and a half. By the time I arrived in Kiev, I was BEYOND ready to be done traveling. Oh...wait...one more surprise: no luggage.

I had the distinct privilege of filling out 4 different forms to register that my luggage was MIA. Through God's providence, 3 of my colleagues came to retrieve me, and we finally left the airport around 1 am. I stayed with my friend, Elizabeth, and was able to retrieve my luggage Saturday morning. I then caught a bus to Poltava at 3:45 and FINALLY got home at 9:15 pm Saturday night.

Now- before I dwell too long on the frustrations of all the traveling, please allow me to include a list of blessings. It's long:
1. My Friday morning ride to the airport was full of encouraging, exhorting conversation with a godly colleague from Western Europe, who also very kindly gave me one of her leisure-reading books because she heard me mention that my English reading supply is limited.
2. I sat by a man from Kosovo on the flight to Budapest who I was able to share with. At first, he didn't want to hear what I was saying, so I stopped for a while and just prayed silently for him. Lo and behold, he began asking me questions after a little while.
3. I was able to eat lunch in Budapest (a good one, too). With my original itinerary, I wasn't going to get a lunch.
4. Through a breakdown in communication, I ended up with a friend in Kiev to stay with, rather than chilling in the Kiev airport all night.
5. I was able to get my luggage the very next morning, rather than having to wait for a long time- or not receive it at all.
6. I got to sit next to a Ukrainian girl on the bus home. She was my age and spoke fluent English. We chatted the whole way to Poltava, I shared with her, she gave me her contact info, and I was invited to visit her in her city.

God is so faithful. I had such an adventure, but it wasn't a dreadful experience. It was such an encouragement to see Him at work in my life!

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

You are absolutely right. Sometimes we have to intentionally open our eyes to see God, but He is always at work and pouring out blessings.

Anonymous said...

nice breakdown in communication . . .

Ben said...

You had this much trouble just traveling *within* Europe? Seriously, why did I ever fly on the same plane as you? Glad you survived.

Jaclyn.... said...

2 opportunities to share sounds like God rerouted you for a purpose. He wanted to bless you and others!

Glad you made it back to Poltava unscathed!