Monday, October 12, 2009

Budapest is a magical land

I have now spent two full days in Budapest. It has rained for almost every minute of that time, but that is neither here nor there BECAUSE I had Tex-Mex today for lunch.

My Monday was quite full. The mission: begin the visa-acquiring process. I’m thanking the Lord quite persistently for sending one of my Ukraine colleagues (Wendy) to Budapest at the same time as me. She’s a veteran of trips to Budapest, so she knows pretty much all the ropes around here.

So…We rolled out around 7:45 this morning, heading to the Ukrainian consulate. An hour and a half and three public transportation transfers later, we were there. The gates of the consulate were- very appropriately- painted a very shocking “Ukrainian” blue. If you’ve been to Ukraine, you are probably envisioning exactly the right hue of blue in your head. I had a very smooth time presenting my preliminary documents and visa picture. I filled out an application, and then we headed back into the downtown area to complete the financial transaction at a specific bank. Did that. Made it back to the consulate on my own, as Wendy needed to stay downtown to wait for an appointment. Things were in order, apparently, because she told me to return on Tuesday to have my visa glued in. Yesssss!

After the visa-ing, I got to spend an hour and a half roaming around a legit mall. It was phenomenal. I shopped a little, walked around a lot, and was totally, irresistibly drawn towards the movie theater. I didn’t go in to see a movie because we’re planning to do that Wednesday. I was totally thrilled just to be near a movie theater that shows movies in English. It warmed my heart.

The BEST part of the day, though, was lunch. Wendy introduced me to Arriba, a Moe’s-like equivalent. It made my soul sing. It was like partaking of a piece of Heaven here on earth.

Back at the Eden House (guest house where we’re staying), we had a really exciting event, post-dinner. There’s a family here waiting to have their fourth child. Today was the day! We had a “movie moment” wherein the mom stopped mid-stride and said, “Um, my water just broke.” Things turned into such a flurry, and there will be a baby soon!

Budapest is a magical land. Wish you were here.

Only picture from Budapest so far...Mexican restaurant!


2 comments:

Kat said...

I am so glad your visa-ing is going so smoothly...and you had tex-mex? You must be in heaven.

Molly said...

i LOVE that you got some Tex Mex! Please tell me that there were sombreros around. And also--I'd love to think that you said "Arriba taqueria" (from the photo) like a true Tex-Mexican.