Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Blackout

Crash.

Shriek.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!" Kat began apologetically, but after knocking over my water bottle, she turned into the Giggle Monster.

"No...no...it's fine," I said in my most disoriented voice. I still wasn't sure that I was even awake. "What's up?" I fumbled for the lightswitch next to my headboard, but no matter how many times I flicked it, I couldn't get it to turn on. Weird. Definitely still asleep. I think.

"You're not going to be able to turn that on." Dum dum dum. Scary Dream Kat stood there, laughing maniacally and telling me that I wouldn't be able to turn on the light.

Wait. So confused.

"You can't turn it on because the power went out. I turned on the switch for the bathroom, a lightbulb popped, and all the electricity went out."

After this explanation, I decided that I was definitely awake, but was wishing I was still asleep.

"I'm really sorry! I don't know what happened." Poor Kat... I explained that it was not her fault; the electric currents here are just a lot more ornery than at home. For example: sometimes, I’ll just walk into a room and a light bulb will spontaneously combust. I’d like to think it’s because I’m so awe-inspiring. However, I’m pretty sure that it’s just because the building is old and wired with 220 voltage. Alas…We checked to see if the electricity in the building was out or if it was just in my apartment. Just mine. There’s no breaker to flip and easily fix the situation. Even if there was one, I’d bet that it would be imprisoned under lock and key like many other electronic contraptions.

There wasn't much that could be done at 2:00 am. So, we went back to bed, and I got on the phone around 9:00 to start locating some help. After a gajillion phone calls and explanations, Emil (landlord) came over to fix the situation, and Nastia came to help with awkward translating situations. Never fear: we now have electricity and nothing exploded or burned down. And, I had a nice chat on the phone with my landlord's wife.

Such a glamorous life.

No comments: