Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ukrainians are serious about Public Health

Ukraine is being very intentional about preventing a swine flu epidemic.

Seriously.

Swine flu reached Ukraine a few months ago, but it's mostly been a problem in the western part of the country (I live in east central Ukraine). There have been several deaths, and now it's spreading to other parts of the country. SO, in an attempt to slow down the progression, the Ukrainian government decided to suspend all schools- public or private- for three (3) weeks. Three weeks! Not only that, they are also restricting "unnecessary" travel within Ukraine (I'm thinking I won't be scampering too far away from the ranch for the next few weeks). For more info, check out this.

Now, I am not yet sick of any kind. I won't be in the schools (clearly) for the next few weeks, but I will still be leading evening English clubs. I'm not sure what else the next few weeks hold, but I'm hoping it means I'll get to see more of my friends, since they won't have class. You know, as long as they're not sick. I'm bundling up like it's going out of style (including a hat), taking lots of Vitamin C, and avoiding going very many places that require me to get on a bus.

The weather is not very nice, though. It's extremely cold- even if the thermometer doesn't reflect that (although, when I woke up this morning, the thermometer was saying 27 F). The WIND is very bitter and mean-spirited. I think I got some wind burn on my face today, which did not make me very happy. Jack Frost...whoever decided he was a friendly guy? He's not.

I'll keep you posted on what happens when all of Poltava is out of school- and stuck in town.

To be continued...

No comments: