Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quarantine activities

After that first week of quarantine, my life got a little more exciting. My church here is hosting a youth conference this coming weekend, and there is going to be all manner of drama, music, performing, etc. Well, Nastia volunteered the two of us to participate in one of the performances. It doesn't require any speaking, so I agreed. All last week and for several hours already this week, we've had rehearsals with the rest of the group. This has added a little fun activity to my otherwise tranquil existence. It has also thrust me into a new level of language learning; immersion in a situation that is almost all direction and instruction. It's been really fun! (But I do come home completely mentally exhausted afterwards.)

The "performance" that we're doing is to the song "Who Am I?" by Casting Crowns. Now, we have been rehearsing (like, for 10 hours) using the English version of the song because there isn't a recording of the Russian version. Last night, we had rehearsal with the band and the girls that will be singing, so of course, we were using the Russian version.

Problem: the sequence of the song is NOT the same.

We had to rework a good chunk of the order that we had painstakingly memorized so that it matches the Russian song. What an adventure. There were several times during our 3.5 hour rehearsal where we had to take breaks so that the guy directing our part could consult with the singers about how to reword the lyrics. Oh my. During these times of breakage, I pulled out my camera to document the fun:

Good idea in principle...not so much in execution. Luda, me, and Nastia.

Um, Nastia couldn't hold on to her silly face. I win.

Dasha could, though.

I'm a rock star. You just didn't know.

More friends: Lyera, Olya, Stas, and Katya.




During one of our translation breaks, the band starting practicing a different song. Katya and Luda spontaneously started doing the motions to it, and I thought it was fun! The chorus translates roughly as: My hands, legs, and eyes/ My nose, mouth, and ears all belong to Him. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Glad to know you are doing well and having a great time serving the Lord! Keep up the service.

In the center of Gods love,
CSW

Molly said...

Erinishka, (Or something to that effect...) :) I LOVED this post because of the fancy photo work. But mostly because of the video. Question: does your drama involve white gloves? Or does everyone in Ukraine wear them? I hope the event is super fun and that all the rehearsals are worth it! Don't be nervous, everyone will love you! Love!