Monday, March 1, 2010

Ukrainian Cuisine

One of the things that I find people really want to know about Ukraine is "What do they eat over there?" On the whole, I really like Ukrainian food. It's really good. There are just a few things here and there that I'm not crazy about. I'll try to make a list of most of the primary dishes that they eat:

1. Vareneky
Vareneky is a dish that you'll find in different formats throughout Eastern European countries. Ukrainians claim it as their main, national dish, though. It's a half-moon-shaped dumpling stuffed with potatoes, cabbage, or fruit. It's usually eaten with sour cream on top. It's goooooood.


Rachel, Hannah, and me making vareneky with Oksana.

2. Pelmeni
Ukrainians will be very quick to tell you that pelmeni is a Russian dish, not Ukrainian. Despite this, it's regularly eaten here. It's very much like vareneky; the difference is that it's smaller, round, and filled with meat. I keep frozen pelmeni in my freezer at all times. It's my go-to meal when I don't feel like cooking. Pelmeni is usually eaten with sour cream or mayonnaise.

Pre-boiling pelmeni. Check out Oksana's snazzy pelmeni grid.

Pelmeni boiling away.

3. Goluptzi
This is probably my favorite dish. My dad's family is from Slovakia, and we've eaten holupkis for years. So, when I got to Ukraine and discovered that Ukraine has it's own version of that dish, I was thrilled! It's a steamed cabbage roll stuffed with meat and rice. Now, I don't love cabbage, so I understand that this description may make some of you cringe. Trust me- it's phenomenal. I could eat my weight in goluptzi. Of course, after doing that, I'd have a new weight to work with.


4. Borsch
Borsch is very Slavic. Again, Ukrainian make a distinction between Russian and Ukrainian borsch. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that Ukrainian borsch is a little less purple in color. The description of borsch makes it sound unappetizing to most Americans because the base of this soup is beets. Now, let me clarify: not all borsch is created equal. It can be awful or fantastic, based on who makes it. It's comprised of beets, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, and dill, primarily. I like it, even though I HATE beets.


5. Golushki/ Pompushki
This dish has two names because one is the Ukrainian word (golushki) and one is Russian (pompushki). This dish is made of dumplings that you cover in a chicken sauce. To me, it's the Ukrainian version of chicken-n-dumplins. I love it!

Poltava loves golushki so much that they have a monument to it in the center of town!

There are, of course, other dishes like plov (rice and meat), olivieh (potato-ish salad), schooba (layered salad made with potatoes, corn, mayonnaise, and cold herring), and all manner of dishes made with buckwheat.

Snacks/comfort food:
1. kvass
Kvass is a drink made from yeast. It's fermented to an extent but not in the same way as alcoholic beverages. I tried it once, not knowing what it was, and it was all I could do to swallow. I'm not a fan, but Ukrainians drink it in the summer, much like Americans would drink lemonade.

In the summer, these sidewalk tanks full of kvass show up everywhere.

2. Semachki
Semachki are sunflower seeds! National snack.

3. Salo
Salo is pig fat. Ukrainians love salo and will eat it on toast, roast it over a fire, or bake it into other foods, like potatoes. Again, not a fan.

Hope you enjoy! Bon appetit or as the Ukrainians say, Smachnoho!

3 comments:

bo said...

Mmmm . . . vereneky, I had completely forgotten about it. I can live without the sunflower seeds, but I do love the fields of sunflowers in the summer. You should post a picture to remind you of the warm days ahead. Have a good day friend!

Unknown said...

She's right about the goluptzi! It doesn't taste like cabbage at all! So good...

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I will be in Kiev next month and I wanted to see pictures of the local food. Your post clarifies a lot. thx.