Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just a typical trip to the grocery store...

I finally had to bite the bullet and go to the grocery store today. I just went on Saturday, so I was hoping to make my supplies last for at least a few more days. No such luck. So, I packed up my reusable grocery bag (if you don't take your own, you have to buy a bag there. And, you bag your own groceries, fyi), gathered up all the trash in the apartment (there's a dumpster near the store, so I never go to the store without taking the trash out...which happens every other day or so), and headed out. The good news is that the temperature is up to 37, the snow is melting, and the sun is starting to shine. The bad news is that it's EXTREMELY muddy.

I arrived at the store, grabbed my basket, and froze. Two men with ladders were blocking my way. The only way into the main part of the store is through a teeny, tiny turnstile, and the ladders were wedged in between the bars of the stile. I stood there for a second, feeling dumb and awkward and trying to figure out how to get in. I looked around, trying to catch the eye of someone who might offer advice or sympathy and got nothing. While I was rooted to my spot, pontificating, the men casually finished whatever they were doing and moved the ladders. I dashed through as quickly as possible before they noticed that they'd may my way more convenient.

I went about my business and headed to the check out line. Whilst standing in the checkout line, unloading my items onto the counter, Ladder Man comes and stands behind me. I realized that he was looking at me expectantly. He didn't say anything- he just stood there, making a face that said, "You're in the way, missy." I shuffle a few inches forward, and he shuffles behind me. The lady in front of me was paying, so I didn't really have anywhere else to go. I shuffle two or so more inches, and Ladder Man nudges me further with his ladder, until he has it in exactly the spot he wanted (blocking all of the customers standing behind him by effectively creating a barrier). There I was- jammed between Paying Lady and Ladder Man with no way of moving forward or backward.

The crazy part was that NO ONE found this situation remotely out-of-the-ordinary. Really, folks?

I live an unusual life.

1 comment:

Mamichka said...

Yes, you live and unusual life, but just like one of your literary heroes, you do it with style!!!