Friday, March 12, 2010

Tour of my 'hood

I got this idea from my friend, Breanne. She lives in another part of Europe. She did a really neat post about her everyday journey. I thought I'd follow suit...only, mine begins at the bus stop (plus one picture on the trolley), which is very near my house. Not as cool as hers, but I thought you might like it anyway.

Sorry this is so blurry; it was on a moving vehicle, and the ticket lady was shooting me furtive glances. Usually, public transportation is too packed-too-capacity for any kind of photography.

This is a shot from the trolley of a pile of snow that has turned black and solidified. Pretty, right?

This is the building across the street from the bus stop. It's the prettiest one in the whole neighborhood...and no one lives there. It's been under construction the whole time I've lived here. There is, however, an operating toy story in the bottom.

The bakery across the street(ish) from my apartment. I sometimes stop in there to get lunch items (Ukrainian-style). The name of the bakery is something like "Home Cookin'" in Ukrainian.

Gigantic pothole. It was nicely iced over for months, but it recently thawed and is causing problems again.

This is the cutesy entrance to a local restaurant. It's designed to look like the roofs of houses out in the villages.

4 foot mountain of snow near my house. It's so gross.

Breanne included a picture of her country's cute mailboxes...Here's one of ours. Not as cute.

Playground outside my building entrance. The cats hang out at this swing set.

My entrance (the second door- the first one is the door to a utility-like closet).

This is a shot from my apartment door, down the stairwell. Now, after taking this, I thought, "It's too dark...I won't include it." Then, I thought, "But, it's very realistic. It's always dark out there." You're getting the real deal here, friends.

Hope you enjoyed your mini-tour. You're so Ukrainian now.

2 comments:

bo said...

Loved the tour! I feel so educated now. But I want to know, what are "Ukrainian style" lunch items? Please tell me it does not include cold fish with the eyes still there . . . (I'm shivering in horror just thinking about passing the delicatessens in Prague).

Molly said...

Erincita! I LOVED this post. The tour was tonic for my soul and helped me feel like I was right there with you...making your trek around the city. I DO hope that some of those snow mountains melt soon! They look so grizzly and menacing. But your Ukrainian tour was charming. I miss thee!!!