Saturday, March 6, 2010

I'm not an idiot. I promise.

A friend of mine who also lives in Europe posted something genius recently. I laughed in sympathy as I read it and thought about all the different scenarios in which I have felt like a complete idiot. I always feel the need to shout, "I'm not an idiot! I'm just not a native!"

So often, I'll go to the store, ask a question, and find myself fixed with a stare that clearly says, "I have no time for you, you idiot girl who knows nothing about anything in life." The reason for this is merely because of my language skills and my nationality.

Last night, I was visiting with some friends who speak EXCELLENT English. They spent some time last summer interpreting for some groups that came to Poltava to conduct medical clinics. I asked them what they thought about their interpreting experiences. In the midst of all of the positive, excited comments, one of the girls mentioned to me how her feelings had been hurt by one of the Americans who criticized her accent. I felt quite indignant on her behalf.

I have a challenge for you:
Be very kind to foreigners.
Just because they may not speak your language or perhaps speak it with an accent does not mean that they are unintelligent. They may very well be incredibly smart, capable, successful people in their home countries. Living in Ukraine has increased my capacity for compassion. Next time you encounter a struggling foreigner, please keep in mind how you would feel if you were dropped into his or her home country.

Remember Abraham and Lot and their fortuitous encounters with foreigners. Always be kind.

No comments: