Sunday, February 14, 2010

The stuff of life

This week (minus the less-than-positive interaction at the university) has been quite good. Both English clubs went well (even though the Intermediate club consisted mostly of Beginners and the lesson had to be changed on the fly; I thrive on structure and this culture puts my character to the test), and my class at another college went exceptionally well. Apparently, the troublemakers were absent, and all the sweet, quiet ones were able to come out of their shells. If you're ever interested in seeing some of what I do in class, you should check out my ESL blog; I post on lessons that I've done/what's been a big hit/what's been helpful/etc: http://erininukraineesl.blogspot.com/.

The weather has been intense this week. Last night, instead of snow, we had freezing rain. I'm not sure that I quite grasp how there can be such a thing as "freezing rain"; I've always been under the impression that frozen rain is snow, but ok. I took some pictures of the tree outside my kitchen window as the freezing rain coated it. It was really pretty...but I got VERY cold with the window open!



And, just for your amusement, I'm including a picture of the carrots I bought this week. I am kicking myself for not getting a "before" picture. I remember my mom taking a picture of the sink after cleaning produce when we lived in the Middle East. I asked why, and she said it was because no one would believe how dirty it was. I am now doing the same thing. When I bought my carrots, they were black. They did not look like carrots. This picture is post-soaking and pre-hardcore-scrubbing.

1 comment:

Mamichka said...

That's my girl - taking a proof positive picture of produce that keeps the foreign soil tightly in its grip!!!!!