Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy Erin Day!

For those of you who have been reading this blog for a long time, you know about my slight obsession with Ukrainian names. I know that I've written a lot about the different variations of names, so this post will not be about that. Instead, did you know that Ukrainians (and other citizens of Slavic, Orthodox, and traditionally Catholic countries) are named after saints? This is the reason that there are so many people with the same names.

The most interesting part of this is that you are supposed to be congratulated on your Name Day (kind of like another birthday)! The Name Day is closely associated with the person's baptism as a baby. So, a few weeks ago, my friend, Ira, congratulated her sister, Tanya, on St. Tatiana's Day. St. Tatiana is the patron saint of students, so the entire day is known as "student day." Those named Valentin or Valentina celebrate February 14th as their name day. I'm not really sure about any others, though. Sorry...

However, I'm trying to pick an "Erin" name day. At first I thought I would name my birthday as "Erin" day, but then I decided that I should have another day...2 celebrations. Do you have a Name Day?

3 comments:

Karen Tidwell said...

Happy Name Day to you! I don't have a name day but if it means presents I will gladly choose one. I always wanted a summer birthday so I choose June 30 :).

bo said...

I feel your pain. When I lived in Prague, I celebrated with my first name (since I go by my American middle name). The weird thing was that the Czech form of my first name didn't even start with the same letter! Happy Erin Day!

Kat said...

So there is a St. Catherine Day (11/25) commemorating the martyrdom of St. Catherine. Interesting note:
"On St. Catherine's Day, it is customary for unmarried women to pray for husbands, and to honor women who've reached 25 years of age but haven't married -- called "Catherinettes" in France."
There is also a prayer,

Saint Catherine be good
We have no hope
but you
You are our protector
Have pity on us
We implore you on our knees
Help us to get married
For pity's sake, give us a husband
For we're burning with love
Deign to hear the prayer
Which comes from our overburdened hearts
Oh you who are our mother
Give us a husband

yay for my name day... :S