Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day of Defenders

February 23 (yesterday) is "Men's Day" or "Day of Defenders." Originally, it was created to honor the men who served in the Soviet army. I've read that it was originally known as "Red Army" day. I've heard that it was actually created as a reaction to "Women's Day," which is celebrated on March 8. Last year, I was given a box of matches, sporting a tank on it, as a marker of the day.

I think, having grown up somewhere besides the Soviet Union, my first reaction to anything Soviet is "Whoa...don't want to be a part of that!" After living here for even the short amount of time that I have, I've gained a respect for the men and women that comprised the Soviet Union. I still don't have high opinions of Mr.'s Lenin and Stalin and their methods (and never will), but I do have a great deal of respect for the masses of men and women who so determinedly kept their families going. Most of the time, the older generation tends to be harsh and pushy when out in public. However, the more I learn of their lives during the Soviet Union, the more respect I have for their lives and force of will. The men- the ones who were required to fight in wars and battles, the ones who had to provide for their families- had to work and fight extra hard, for a cause that they'd be conditioned to revere and respect. That determination is something to respect.

No matter what opinion I have of the USSR, I respect the men who were so valiant and brave. You can still sometimes see that same determination on the faces of the men and boys today.

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

We also celebrated Men's Day/Army Day here yesterday! I sadly did not get any cool tank matches :(

Good thoughts on Soviet life.