Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blessings of my life

I know that I frequently write about how much I hate snow or how I get frustrated with cultural differences. I don't want to leave you with the impression that I dislike my life here. In an effort to rectify this situation, I thought I'd write about some of the blessings in my life.

1. Salvation church
I spend a LOT of time at church or participating in church events. The folks at church are kind of like my second family. They've been so great to include me in everything and to take care of me when I need things.

Snowy shot of the church building

Last year's group shot of (some of) the "youth group." Anyone unmarried and younger than 30 can be youth...

2. Ira and Tanya
These two girls were my first friends in Poltava. I've spent countless hours working alongside them, hanging out, praying, laughing, and eating great Ukrainian food with them. They are so faithful to help me and to encourage me.

Tanya and Ira. Love them.

3. Nastia
Nastia is my lifeline, most of the time. She's my neighbor and kind of functions like my mom- whether she wants to or not! She helps me when I have tricky things to do like buy train tickets or get my hair cut without major translation issues! She ALWAYS makes sure to include me in any ministry or fun activity. I can't tell you how many hours she's spent at my apartment, hanging out with whatever group of students happens to be here. She's great.

Last year with Nastia.

This year with Nastia!

4. Victoria and Nataly
These two girls were my first friends at one of the universities at which I teach. We've stayed friends for over a year now, and they spend many Friday evenings at my apartment- making cookies, watching movies, playing games. They are precious and I love them.

At the movies with Nataly (left) and Victoria (right)

Christmas Eve with Nataly, Victoria, and my sister, Amiee

This is only a very, very tiny look at the blessings in my life, but I wanted to give you something positive to associate with Poltava...rather than just the vitriolic musings about snow.

1 comment:

Mamichka said...

Great job of showcasing blessings!