Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This is the hard part...part 2

Today, Amiee and I spent 4 hours visiting with Ira, Tanya, and their family(Oksana, Andrei, and Anya). Their mom, Oksana, is a FANTASTIC cook and invited us over for lunch. She served goluptsi and pelmeni, which happen to be my favorite Ukrainian foods. They were wonderful, of course. While we were there, there came up a massive storm, so we got to stay longer than we might have otherwise. We were also there when the water and electricity went out for an hour or so. Oi! Apparently, a power source for the water and electricity for that part of town caught on fire! And, I'm pretty sure we saw it! We (Ira, Tanya, Anya, Amiee, and I) had been watching the rain from the window and saw a HUGE cloud of black smoke billowing into the sky. Not everyday that that happens.

We had a sweet time of visiting and chatting. It was great to be able to visit some with Anya, as well. I hardly ever get to see her, but when I do, I just love the time we have. It was difficult to say goodbye to Oksana and Andrei. Oksana was literally the first Ukrainian that I met in Poltava. They are very dear to me and will be greatly missed.

Ira, Anya, Tanya, Andrei, Oksana, Me

The girls! Top: Anya, Tanya; Bottom: Ira, me, Amiee

Sweet, sweet gifts: lined jewelry box and a handmade card. I totally teared up while reading Ira's card. Oh goodness...

1 comment:

Karen Tidwell said...

Your blog has been part of my morning routine since you went to Ukraine. I have enjoyed sharing this from afar. I'm reminded again of something I heard at the parent's retreat, going means leaving. I ususally think of this from this side of the ocean but it is true when you go home, you leave there and it is difficult. Be assured of my prayers for you and Amiee as you prepare to leave (are you up for one more adventure!)and for your friends there that will miss you so much.