Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cultural Experience

Today involved a lot of pre-departure preparations, which were zero fun. Tonight, though (very much like last night), involved spending time with friends! My friend, Tanya (of "Tanya and Mariana"...my cooking friends), came over with Nastia for a little while. We visited for a little bit at my house and then joined her in town for a free, Ukrainian film festival. It was held in a very beautiful building that I've always wanted to go into but never knew what it was for. Score! We got there for the end of one movie and then all of a documentary. It was so fun! The first movie was pretty depressing as far as American standards go but very culturally appropriate, so I let the depression go.

The second movie was a documentary about a celebrated Ukrainian film director named Sergei Paradzhanov. It was hysterical- it was all so absurd and crazy (which was apparently much like his personality)! Thankfully, it had English(ish) subtitles so that Amiee and I could follow along. Parts of it were actual people, parts were cartoon, and parts were a mixture of the two. Here are some of my favorite lines:
1. "He was the man who turned a watermelon into a melon and the latter into grapes."
2. "They made me swallow the rubies, diamonds, and emeralds to hide them from the police. I skipped school the following day so that I could return the valuable gems to my parents."
3. "I am an Armenian of Georgian origin who spent time in jail in Russia for Ukrainian nationalism."

Amiee, Tanya, and Nastia outside of the cultural center.

Just waiting for the movie to start.

The whole place looked like a palace, so of course we had to pose! We tried to do the exhibitionist stuff while Nastia and Tanya were turned away...

Oh yes. It was delightful.

No comments: