Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The wheels on the bus...

In order for you to be fully a part of my life, you need to know about one of the most important/vital/ can't-live-without aspects: public transportation. I'm listing- for your reading enjoyment- the various types of transportation to be found in Poltava:

1. Trolley bus (pronounced: tro-LAY boos). This form of transportation involves a very big bus that is attached to overhead electrical cables. It is (in principle) fairly spacious. Interesting fact: senior citizens ride for free. This means that it is full of babushkas and dedushkas (see previous post for info. on babushkas...), and the chances of a younger person finding a seat are very slim. When trolleys fill up, it's almost unbearable; the combination of heat and body odor is quite intense. However, trolleys are the cheapest: 75 kopeks. This translates into about a dime. The different numbers of the trolleys indicate which route they travel.

2. Bus (av-toe-boos). This is a regular-sized bus. There tend to be fewer senior citizens riding buses, generally speaking. Buses are smaller but get pretty cramped, hot, and stuffy as well. They are a little pricier: 1 grievna (about $.25)

3. Marshrutka. This is like a van. These are not government-owned but are run by private companies. These, like trolleys and buses, have set routes. They are the most expensive: 1 grievna and 25 kopek (roughly $.30). The good thing about marshrutkas are that they are much faster. The tricky part is that you have to tell them where to stop...in Russian. Generally, you need to know the name of the bus stop (ha!). I've been working on my marshrutka skills. I'm getting better.

Etiquette for public transport (as I can learn from my fellow passengers):
1. If someone is in your way, push them.
2. Acquiring a seat = cutthroat measures
3. If a babushka gets on, you give up your seat (this one I'm ok with...reminds me of home).
4. Move toward the door well before your stop.
5. Try to travel lightly. Otherwise, you will have difficulties maneuvering. Trust me on this one...
6. Learn to read Cyrillic AND learn the sections of the town. This is tricky and a never-ending learning process.
7. Pay close attention to the directional signs on the bus. If you don't, you will end up going the wrong direction. How do I know? Well, this morning, for example, I did not pay CLOSE attention. I got on the bus going to the part of town that I needed to head toward. I did not pay attention to the fact that it was going in a different circle around the city, which would take me 40 minutes out of the way. I realized my mistake in enough time to only set myself back by about 15 minutes. I called the professor to tell her I would be late. Oh, how they laughed when they heard my reason.

I'm sure there will be many more stories to come. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Ms. Teach said...

Erin, I love your stories! In fact, I have shared several with my students at school. Between your blog and Rachel's, I feel like I'm in Poltava! Thanks for looking after Rachel. We will continue to remember all of you and your work, Janice (Rachel's mom)