Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More wheels, more bus

To continue from yesterday, I have another public transport observation.

When you get on the bus or trolley, you wait for the money collector. This person is usually a woman with a grim expression on her face. You can tell who the collectors are because they almost always wear a fanny pack (this is like their cash register). They come looking for people who aren't holding tickets, take your money, give you change, and tear off a ticket stub for you to hold.

These poor money collectors always look so weary with the world. They have cranky voices and sour expressions. Why? Oh because they are always having to be aggressive. They have to push and shove their ways up and down the bus or trolley. They have to make sure they get money from everyone before people get off the vehicles. They have to give correct change to the right people. Can you blame them?

Today, I saw something I haven't actually seen before. The bus was crowding up quickly, and the collector was going to have to struggle from the front to the back. So, instead, when the bus made a stop, she got off the bus at the front door, walked to the back entranced, and got on with the new group of people. That way, she could collect from the majority first and move forward as the crowd thinned out. Smart girl!

Marshrutka drivers on the other hand...they drive and collect money and dispense change all at the same time. It's SO totally safe.

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

love your transportation stories/descriptions. :) They are right on!!!

I carry a big bag with me to my language lessons for my workbooks and notebooks, and it always gets stuck between babushkas with huge fur coats.

Also, I hate it when someone calls me while i'm on the marshutka....I begin to speak English and everyone stares. It's fantastic.