Saturday, January 3, 2009

GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE! Now!

Today is Saturday. I spend Saturday afternoons teaching English to a group of young teenagers who gather at my friend Ira's house. This morning, mom and I were talking over what we would do for the lesson, how we could make it meaningful, etc. We had our game faces on.

And then...

We have a toilet issue. For the past few days, the toilet seat has been slip-sliding around, finally breaking off yesterday. We went out yesterday afternoon with the mission of "find-a-new-toilet-seat-or-die-trying." Well, we didn't find a toilet seat, and we did almost die of exposure to the elements. So, we came home, and mom MacGyvered the seat. It was working beautifully until this morning.

As it came apart (yet again), mom and I began taking it apart in hopes of reattaching it successfully. In the process, the unthinkable happened.

The little tiny parts- so essential to the attaching of the seat- fell in to the toilet. We gasped in horror, each thinking, "Ew, gross!" until mom began yelling, "GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE GLOVE! Now! It's sinking!" I make a mad dash to the kitchen to grab a glove (of course, I can only find one of them) and dive into the bathroom (Olympic runners have nothing on me when I'm in a toilet-saving frenzy). Mom informs me that I grabbed the wrong glove, but she uses it anyway and saves the toilet seat pieces. Victory!

Such a glamorous life I lead...

Hope you're all having a Happy New Year! Snovom Godom.

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

That is awesome.

How mong is your family there for? Tell them hi from us!

Delete My Account said...

Erin, I love this story! It's so funny and so you! I am glad that you are doing well and that your mom is still there getting to see you! I pray that your English class got to hear this story too!

Anonymous said...

Erin,

I now know why some things happen. Two years ago, I came into my office to find a toilet set, still wrapped and in the box, propped against the leg under my desk. No one has claimed it and no one knows where it came from.

So, for two years, it has proudly adorned my office, waiting for its full purpose to be revealed. Now, I see that it was provided in advance for this need of yours.

If you want it, I will gleefully ship it to you. Just let me know. I'll even throw in a pair of gloves. I should have thought to give it to your dad to carry through customs, but alas...

Unknown said...

I love this story and can LITERALLY see it happening in my head! The Brassarts are so on top of things!