Friday, January 16, 2009

My week in review

Photobucket Album

Well, I'm trying a different approach to uploading pictures. What do y'all think? More suggestions?

This is a picture from one of the Saturday ESL classes that I teach. Some of these girls are regulars, some are one-time attenders, and some regulars weren't there. Ira and I teach these classes every Saturday at 2:00. Tomorrow, we're starting a new kind of curriculum. We're going to begin lessons centered on stories from the life of Jesus. Tomorrow's lesson is about the healing of the 10 lepers. I'll let you know how it goes.

This week, I made a trip to Dnipropetrovsk to visit my supervisors. It's about a 3.5-4 hour trip, one way. I got to ride this really old Soviet bus on the way down. The windows were completely iced over- if they had been horizontal and not attached to a bus, I could have skated on them. I was in Dnipr Sunday-Tuesday.

Tuesday afternoon may have been the highlight of my week. Here's why: There is a McDonald's in Poltava. Problem is, my very conscientious friends are reluctant to give me directions without taking me themselves. Ergo, no one would tell me how to get myself there. However, when I returned from Dnipr, I took a taxi to McDonald's, ate a burger there, and got one to go. So good...

The rest of the week, I've been writing lesson plans for the night classes that start on Monday, studying Russian, and teaching. I'm also getting ready for Hannah and Rachel to move in with me. Yay!

Ok. This mostly catches everyone up. Sorry it's so dry...I'll try to have a more interesting week next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...can't see some of the picture that got cut off :( I keep hearing interesting things about your country--gas line problems, incredibly high HIV rates...needless to say I'm praying for ya!

-O

Jaclyn.... said...

Are your English-learners beginners or have they been learning for a while? Just curious...I'm HOPEFULLY starting English clubs soon with highschool/college students.

Unknown said...

Erin- I am SO glad that you got McDonalds. If I got myself there I probably would have been gluttenous.

Also, that's like a drive to Union... in public transportation. 4 hours is HARD CORE. At least this is probably more pleasent in the cold weather than in the warm.