Monday, December 1, 2008

I hate hats...and other life-adjustments in Ukraine

I hate wearing hats. I don't look good in them, and I definitely don't look good after taking them off!

Unfortunately, wearing hats is a reality on a daily basis now. I'm not sure how to explain the weather here. Even if the temperature doesn't look like it should be very cold, that does not mean that it's not cold. A few factors: wind, lack of heated vehicles, and MUCH more walking in the elements. Thus, I now wear hats.

Here is a list- for your reading entertainment- of adjustments I'm making these days:
1. Walking. A lot. In the cold with the wind trying to cut right through me.

2. Taking my own grocery bag to the store.

3. Only being able to buy what I can carry in the store. In the States, you can groceries for the week or even for the month. Generally, there is a car waiting in the parking lot, and you can simply pile it all into the car. This allows the buyer to get whatever he or she wants/requires in one fail swoop. Here, once you leave the store, you have to hoof it home- through mud and puddles, dodging traffic and stray dogs, up flights of stairs into your apartment. This phenomenon means that you end up at a store just about every other day.

4. Customer service does not exist. The employees are not there to serve you; you, the customer, are just so lucky that they deign to accept your money.

5. Personal space does not exist- on public transportation or in interpersonal interaction. Everything is very up close and personal.

6. Washing clothes translates into only being able to wash one pair of pants, one shirt, a pair of socks, and 2 pairs of underwear. If you're lucky. The washing machines are small.

7. Nutella. It's a wonderful creation.

8. European pizza. It's so great.

9. People don't really call me Erin here. It's kind of a difficult name for Russian/Ukrainian speakers to pronounce. There is a Russian name that is similar to mine: Irina. The short, more common form is Ira. So, most people call me "Ira" or "Irichka." The -ichka ending is a term of endearment. Some people who can say "Erin" call me "Erinichka" anyway. It's fun.

I'm still unable to upload pictures right now. I've tried changing the size and everything, but I'm unable to even pull pictures up to load. I might change the template for my blog and try again. I hope you have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Well, Erinichka,

I must say that items 1-7 sound suspiciously like France. (Which means you have my sympathies!) Number 8 - enjoy it! I don't care for pizza here, but we do have crepes. :)

Thanks for the update.

Jaclyn.... said...

i can relate to almost all of those!!! :) Gotta love trekking with the grocery bags.
The ending "john" is the term of endearment here. So, I'm Jac-leen John.

Ang said...

Ah, yes, walking with groceries, taking your own grocery bags, and nutella. I broke down and bought myself one of those granny carts...the tall canvas grocery bags with wheels. And I only resisted Nutella for 5 weeks before giving in and buying a jar. I'm with you, friend!

M & M said...

we love nutella here too...

Brittany N. Howerton said...

I'm praying for you Erin. I'm glad God is helping you adjust, even in the difficult things :)
And I love reading your updates ... you often make me laugh!

Tiffani said...

Love it! Love nutella! So sorry to hear that it is hat weather, I am with you on that one! Have you tried the ski things that just cover your ears? I wear those! It is getting cold in Bama, It was 40 at it's highest yesterday! We love hearing your updates and we can't wait to hear more! We chuckle at the funny stuff and aww, at the appropriate moments. We miss you so much! That stinks about the laundry and groceries. I think you might want to break down and get a granny cart too! That's a great idea! Maybe I will talk to Paula and see if she will send one of the break down cart things she has. You know the one with the crate on the bottom that folds up? Well we hope to hear more soon, and actually see pics of our Yoyo! Kenzie sends kisses and love and so do we!

Love, The Anniston Goulets

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, many of those sound suspiciously like Turkey in the winter as well! And, we did have the fabulous European pizza there!

Erin, your blog is great. Thanks for taking the time to clue us in on the little things. I'm praying lots for you! :)

Julie Boyer

Anonymous said...

wow, ukraine and boston have things in common! mainly the hats, walking, taking my grocery bag, buying only what i can carry, and the public transportation with no personal space (ugh, the greenline~!).
i'm not a hat fan either. i got some earmuffs, which helps on the days when i Will Not wear a hat, but yeah. they are sort of necessary.

Unknown said...

First of all, you look adorable in a hat and you know it.

Also, I am so impressed with you for trecking to the store every day.

And I could never make it over there- you know how I love to let laundry pile up. It soulds like I would NEVER get it done in those tiny machines!

I miss you. SO. SO. SO much.