Thursday, December 18, 2008

Down the drain...

Today has been interesting. Most days are, of course. However, today has held lots of "unexpecteds."

I woke up this morning feeling awful. Knees hurt, back hurt, stomach upset. I had absolutely no motivation to move. I even thought about calling the Transport College to let the professor know that I couldn't come today: "Sorry, I'm dying a little today, so I won't be there. Thanks!" I got up anyway.

My family is arriving here on Saturday (yay!), so I've been in the process of cleaning. I realized this morning that the shower mat thing in the shower needs to go. It's been there since I moved it, but I finally woke up and realized that it's gross. I removed it to store it elsewhere with a stash of the landlord's possessions. That's when I got really grossed out...the under-mat area was N.A.S.T.Y. Well, I HAD to clean that before I got into the shower, right? I pulled out this cleaning stuff that Mrs. Linda had helped me buy back in the jet lagged days, and I doused the shower.

Such a bad idea.

Seeing as how I don't read Russian, I was not aware that you are supposed to dilute it first. I've been airing out the apartment since. And let me tell you, it's somewhere around 14 degrees Farenheit here, so that's no small task. I think I've been a little heady all day because of it. Good news: my shower is very clean.

I did go to the school, which was a blessing. The professor wasn't there, so it was all me. Fun! We talked about American holidays, excluding Christmas, which my family will teach next Thursday, on Christmas day. Side note: Ukrainians celebrate Christmas on January 7, in keeping with the Orthodox calendar. It was great fun! We played the "I am thankful for..." game when we discussed Thanksgiving.

I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful season of celebrating Jesus' birth. What a privilege!
Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Brianna said...

Well I hope that you are feeling better! Have fun with parents and sister! Merry Christmas!

Tripp and Kelly Dixon said...

Merry Christmas, Erin! I talked to your Mom and sister last night and they are so excited about the trip! I hope you have a wonderful visit with them. I miss you and I am praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Erin. I know you are excited about your parents and Amiee coming. Will be looking for pictures of them! Hope this season is extra special for you. Will be praying of all of you.

Unknown said...

Oh Erin! This is such an amusing story! It makes me miss you so much.