Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blessing

I spent this morning at University #1. I was able to be in class with my very favorite professor there (and I've met a lot of them). She's such a character and is always thrilled to see me. In the language departments of schools here, I'm an instant hit- just because my first language is English. Amazing.

Anyway, I have a blessing to write about and a request to add. Two weeks ago, I was at the school during the English language festival week. All week (actually, it was more like a week and a half), students gave presentations and heard guest lecturers. I was asked to serve as a judge for two different forums. The second forum was almost over my head; all the senior International Business and Economics majors were presenting their research papers...

The first forum was more up my alley: students were presenting on their time spent studying abroad (Molly, I totally thought of you!). All of the presentations were interesting, but one in particular stayed with me. One of the first year students presented on her year as a foreign exchange student in the States. She was in a town in the Midwest and absolutely loved her experience. She spoke about how her host family (an elderly couple) became like second parents to her and provided her with so many opportunities. As she neared the end of her presentation, she made a list of pros and cons. One of her cons was that her host family required her to go to church each Sunday. I silently thanked the Lord for families like that and made a mental note to find this girl later and talk to her.

I couldn't find her that day or the next few times I was there. I continued to pray that I would run into her again. For the time being, we'll call her Anna*.

Today, it happened. I walked into the classroom this morning, and there she was. I didn't even have to go looking for her. The class wanted to ask me questions, and Anna was the most active questioner. At the end of class, the professor asked if any of them would like to offer to be tour guides around Poltava for me. Anna whipped out her cell phone and asked me for my number so she could call and plan a time to hang out.

My request: please keep Anna in your prayers. I am convinced that she is back in my path for a reason. It's obvious that God has begun a work in her life, and I'm praying for opportunities to continue sharing. Another girl in the class (we'll call her Tori*) also asked for my number. I'm praying that they contact me soon.

Thanks for your help!
(I'm still working on the picture situation...I changed layouts to see if that would work, but so far, no dice. Any suggestions?)

6 comments:

Cade said...

umm... like you're trying to add pictures to one of your blog posts right? there's a little button right above the white typing box that allows you to upload pics. you can do either one or multiple pics. make sure you select a "layout" option. i think i tried to do it without a layout one time and the pic disappeared when i uploaded it. your blogger settings are set to english right? like the menus are all in english and not russian or ukrainian right?

if you've tried all this, then how are you trying to upload the pics?

Anonymous said...

have you tried uploading to the Blog using the email option? The address would be something with a "@blogger.com".

Brianna said...

Hi Erin,
Glad things are going well for you! We will be praying for your opportunity with these two girls! I use Windows Live Writer to write my blogs and then that uploads it to blogger for me. You may want to try that. It's kinda like writing a document in Word and adding pictures where you want and then it publishes it to your blog for you. Here is the link http://download.live.com/writer -It looks like they have a new version, I'm going to download it now :)

Tiffani said...

Oh Erin! So great, we will pray about that! I am so excited that you are getting along great! We hope to hear some more soon! We love and miss you dearly!

Jamie said...

Glad to hear that doors are opening.

I was going to suggest Live Writer but I see that Brianna already told you about it.

Unknown said...

What's going on with this 'anna' these days?

What a blessing- what a PRECIOUS sweet older family. That makes me want to take in foreign exchange students. BUT I also want to take in orphans, foster children, elderly, homeless, and lots of other kinds of people. but I am glad that there are people like this sweet couple in the world. what a blessing.