Saturday, November 22, 2008

It's been a day... Part I

Actually, it's been a -couple of- day(s). Let's start with Thursday.

I get migraines. I have since I was 16. Over the years, I've learned to recognize triggers, and sometimes I can preempt migraines. I'm pretty good at taking care of them after they start.

Unless they start at 6:00 am. Here's the thing: migraines that start at 2:00 am are far easier to manage than the ones that start at 6:00. You can take hefty migraine medicine and still have a few hours to sleep it off if they start at 2:00. If they start at 6:00, no such luck.

Thursday morning started with a 6:00 am migraine. I took medicine, but seeing as I didn't have time to sleep off the migraine/medicine combo, I woke up 2 hours later with the remnants of a migraine AND a medication hangover. Misery. I got up anyway and started getting ready for a day of teaching English at the Transport College. I was looking forward to the lesson, despite my physical condition. I got ready, took the trolley bus to the school, and found the classroom. Then, I waited. And waited. I called the professor just to make sure I wasn't confused. Lo and behold, she was out sick and had tried to get someone to call and tell me. Ok...

I left and started walking back home. On the way, I was accosted by a very happy drunk. Please keep in mind that it was 10:30 in the morning. It took me a while to shake him because he kept following me. I told him in Russian that I didn't understand and that I speak English. He then proceeded to speak German -very loudly- to me. Yes, that makes perfect sense. I finally got rid of him, but I felt like Jason Bourne (you know, stealthily making sure he lost my trail...wasn't hard. He was drunk.).

I then decided to go ahead and get my rent money ready. I have to pay rent in dollars, which meant that I needed to go find a specific ATM that will allow you to take out money in dollars. I had to walk for a while to find it (it started raining in the meantime), only to find that the machine was, in fact, out of dollars. Really?

I walked back home. Sad and useless in Ukraine on Thursday, November 20. My migraine was starting to return, and I realized I needed some Coke for the caffeine factor. I dashed out to the little corner store across the street to get one (of course, I had just finished off another Coke the night before). I get to the store and 2394879845 people are crammed in there, and they're buying the store out of...that's right, ladies and gentlemen...Coke. I had to trudge further to another store to get it. Gee whiz...

Thursday night, a major quandary befell me. I walked out my door and found a little gray kitten waiting on me. If you don't know me well, you should know that I LOVE cats. Most people don't. I do. Always have. I've been wanting a cat since I got here, but I realize it would be far too complicated to have one. I was so torn, because I wanted to adopted Little Kitty right off the bat. I chose to keep walking and go on to prayer meeting. Little Kitty kept following me and giving me a hard time, practically begging me to keep her.

Such trauma in my life. And, I accomplished absolutely nothing. What a day...

13 comments:

Twila said...

Bless your heart, body, soul, especially head! And may miss little gray kitty visit you often!
The blessing in all of this is that you actually accomplished way more than you gave yourself credit for. . .was able to exercise troubleshooting to the hilt! Know you're glad to finally be learning how to communicate with the peeps better!
Gotta run. Hope today is not such a headache! LOL! Love you, Twila

Jaclyn.... said...

oh the joys!

so sorry about the migraines! Hope you find some kind of great local remedy :)

Momma said they'll be days like this...

Senegal Daily said...

Sounds frustrating and difficult.

Du courage - it will get better!

Heather Brock said...

I so know what those days are like! I'm sorry you had one. I had one the other day that culminated with my wallet being left on a Target floor. Fortunately, it was found by an employee. Sometimes we just have to trust that God is still taking care of us. We may never know all the wrong things that didn't happen because He intervened. : )

Catie said...

i am so sorry erin! i hope you are feeling better today! i am writing a letter to the atm and the store without coke PRONTO! can i have their address?

Tiffani said...

Hey! We are missing you and will miss you terribly when Thanksgiving comes. Kenzie is getting excited about Christmas coming!

So sorry about the migraines and trouble! It will get better!

Love, The Anniston Goulets

Anonymous said...

I am ready for Part 2! Of course I am thousands of miles away but I think you are doing amazingly well. I will be thinking of you and praying for you as you face this Thanksgiving away from your family. I think Amiee is already counting down the days until they come for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Erin,

Hi! I don't know if you will remember me and my family or not but we were in your mom and dad's Sunday school class about 10 years ago. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. You write a lot like your mom. Also, we have been and will continue to pray for you.

Love in Christ,
Kim Barnes

Anonymous said...

I am sending a bottle of current wine to Ukraine right now. It fixes every problem. Love ya, Erin! I'm glad you shook off that drunk like Jason Bourne.

Anonymous said...

Did you keep the kitten??? I sure would, i love kittens. I hope your migraines go away. Good luck in the Ukraine!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Erin,
Thank you so much for keeping us updated with your life in Ukraine. I always look forward to reading about your week as I tap into your blog on Saturday nights. Please know that you are being prayed for as you do the Lord's work there. Our SS lesson tomorrow is about answering God's call, based on Moses and the burning bush! I couldn't help but think about you as I prepared to teach this lesson. I love having Amee in my class...seems like old times when you were in there. I know you are enjoying your teaching assignment in Ukraine. Teaching is a high calling and especially when it is centered around the WORD of GOD.
May HE bless you and your ministry.
Love,
MaMaMac
2 Cor. 12:9
ps... hope your migraine is gone away never to return.

Kirby said...

Wow Erin, what a day you had. It reminded me of that day with the ants and cereal... :)

So sorry about the rudely-timed migraine. I bet there are no Whales in Ukraine. (BTW I saw some the other day and thought of you.)

I can totally see you as Jason Bourne.

Kirby

Unknown said...

Erin-
UGH. I am so sorry you had one of your migranes over in Ukraine. Did you have coke and whales to help?

I am also sorry that you went when you were not feeling well and didn't even have to. GROWL.

Is Little Kitty still around? Because I'm with you, I love kittens. And would DEF have taken it in. And fed it Russian sardines, even though you are right- that would be complicated. I just wouldn't think it through first.