Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Whoa, life in Ukraine!

I’m not even sure how to begin catching everyone up on what’s gone on in my life over the past however long it’s been. So much has happened; it’s been like a whirlwind, and I’m not sure that I still have my head on straight.

Short version: Moved to Poltava. Moved into apartment #1. It’ was an experience that words cannot even describe. I’ll put up pictures, but they don’t even convey full meaning. Spent the first night. Next morning, began having pipe/water/plumbing issues, as well as refrigerator drama. Spent the day having those problems worked on. Returned to the apartment that night to find an unexpected person crashing for the night. Packed overnight bag and stayed at the church. Got up next morning and began apartment search. God worked a miracle and allowed us to find the most perfect apartment AND get the paperwork process finished in one day. Whew.

If you want the more detailed descriptions, see below. If not, then just remember to look for pictures in the near future.

Long version: We drove to Poltava on Thursday, October 30th. I was able to meet two of the church ladies, and they are wonderful. They both have kids my age, so they automatically moved into mom mode. Precious precious friends. The Rays and I had lunch at the church (Ukrainian food, of course. It’s really quite good for any skeptics out there.), and then set off with Oksana to move into my apartment. None of us had seen it in person because someone else had been in charge of the wheeling and dealing on the apartment.

Let’s just say that I’ve never seen anything quite like it. A few keywords: 32984729834 different decorating patterns, 3 mounted sets of antlers, turquoise toilet seat, immobile shower head designed for someone 3 ft. tall. Pictures will come soon, but unfortunately, we discovered that pictures do not capture the full effect. It’s a two-bedroom, but the landlord’s family stored a lot of their stuff in the bigger bedroom and locked the door.

I spent the first night in the apartment and was exhausted the next morning. The mattress was approximately .5 inch thick and strange noises abounded. The strangest noise, however, began very soon after I finished my shower. I wondered why workmen would be in the building, drilling at 8:15 in the morning. That seemed a little unnecessary. After about 10 minutes of the drilling, I began wondering if perhaps that noise was coming from my apartment. I moved into stealth sleuth mode and began sneaking around the apartment to find the mystery noise. Found it. The refrigerator had morphed into a live, shaking, noisy creature. Yikes!

The day that was supposed to be spent seeing Poltava turned into a day spent inspecting the refrigerator and gutting the kitchen because of a pipe problem that I didn’t know about.
That night, we had dinner with Oksana’s family, which was wonderful. So much fun. I returned to my apartment that night (Mike and Linda came back with me to ensure I made it safely) and realized that I was not alone in my apartment. That is a very unnerving feeling. I went into my bedroom, shut the door (thought about piling luggage and furniture in front of it), and called the Rays. Mike was back in a flash, and we soon discovered that the landlord (think 60-year-old) was spending the night in the locked room. He didn't see the problem.

The next day, the Great Apartment Search began. In a miraculous turn of events, we had another apartment signed, sealed, and delivered by that evening. That kind of thing doesn't happen here; nothing is fast. Not kidding. Apartment #2 is phenomenal. Much too good for me. Pictures of that to come, too.

I'll be updating as often as possible now, because I finally have internet! Thank you for your prayers!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job with the Reader's Digest condensed version!! Truly can't wait to see pictures of #2.

Brianna said...

Oh goodness, glad you have a new apartment! We were praying for you and didn't know all the details, the man in the apartment would have put me over the top! Can't wait to see some pictures of the apartment differences.

Jamie said...

Glad you got Internet. Looking forward to more updates and photos.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the pictures! I can only imagine the set up in the previous apartment. I am so glad the Lord provided this new one for you and with ladies to help you. I am very glad to hear our missionaries are take care of! (certainly no selfish motive here) I look forward to reading your updates everyday so I am glad you have internet now.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for working everything out! We are praying for you and can't wait to hear what God is doing in your life and those you meet. I'm very thankful with you that you were able to get a much better apartment. Love you, Laura

Jennifer said...

What a beginning! Can't wait to see pics of both and here more details about apt #2. I'm not sure if your mom was able to tell you the cute story about Mary Ruth praying for you. One day she prayed for Ms. Erin to be a good little missionary! Isn't that the cutest! We will continue to pray for God's hand on you! It's obviously working! Love, Jennifer

Molly said...

Erincita, (my AnnE),

I am absolutely loving these stories...And of course your Apartment #2 sounds like Windy Poplars on Spooks Lane. It was tailor made for you! I'm SO excited about it for you! YAY!

Love,
your Phil.

Tiffani said...

Love you and miss you so much! So glad that you are doing great! Sorry about your apartment problem, but gracious that it is fixed and you have internet! Would love to hear more!

Missing you lots,
Anniston Goulets
XOXOXOX

Unknown said...

Erin,
Aren't you glad that you're settled now and don't have to deal with all of this apartment drama? I can't wait to nest in Boston. ALSO, maybe these delayed comments will help you remember back to 6 months ago when you and Ukraine were first getting to know and love one another.