Friday, April 30, 2010

Things I'm starting to realize I'll miss, Part 2

Some more things I'll miss...I think...

1. Having to be smart. Now, Ukrainians probably think that I'm not smart at all, given the fact that it takes me forever to understand what they're saying and that I often look dazed and confused, but actually, I have to spend a lot of time being smart. How is that, you may ask? Well, I have to do WAY more math while living here: currency conversions, metric conversions, etc. I won't necessarily miss the math part; I pretty much hate math. Despite that, I'm 100% convinced that I use significantly more brain power in this country than I do in the States.

2. Wordsmithery. I think I just made up that word, but here's what I mean: I teach English. I spend a lot of time explaining what words, phrases, and idioms actually mean. I've become a thesaurus and a dictionary and a translator (from English to Understandable English). I am much more careful about choosing the right words and being careful which idioms I use (because, some of them are too much work to explain). My brain is always on "high alert" mode in the word department.

3. The ability to play dumb (while actually thinking more than I usually do- see #1). This is an invaluable asset. At this point in my sojourn here, I actually know what's going on more often than those around me think I do. I understand a lot of conversations that people don't realize I'm hearing and read more signs than people think I can. The ability to play dumb, though, is priceless. Often, people will go out of their way to help you if they think you're dumb, or they'll just give up on trying to make you do something and will do it themselves. When solicitors call, I have my line memorized and ready to roll, and don't those solicitors hang up in a flurry! It's fantastic.

4. Having a regular "vegetable lady" at the bazaar. She asks me where I've been if she hasn't seen me in a while and is really happy to help me pick out my tomatoes and whatnot. She's precious and smiles at me.

5. Ukrainian mama-made Ukrainian food. Yes, I've learned how to cook several dishes, but y'all- it is NOT the same. I'm just saying. Nothing like Oksana's goluptsi. Mmmm.

1 comment:

bo said...

Now, now, don't hate the math - it's math that teaches you how to have a logical argument. And I could launch into quite the lecture here, but I'll refrain.

Love the post - especially the new word!

Happy Friday!