Monday, April 5, 2010

And just when I'm at the height of my annoyance...

...something especially nice happens.

So, I think my cold has morphed into a sinus infection. I feel awesome. And, by "awesome", I mean awful. Can't breathe normally, coughing, throat hurts, head hurts, ears hurt. You know the drill. It's not the kind of thing that keeps me in the bed, but it's the kind of thing that makes me grumpy and tired and want to lay my head down on any available surface.

Last night, the water in my building was shut off. I don't know how often this happens to most of you reading my blog, but let me just say, it annoys me to no end. I had a lot of experience with this in Africa, which has turned out to be a blessing- I at least know how to cope with it. Let's make a quick list of activities that a lack of water affects:
1. Drinking water. Thankfully, I always keep about 5 or so bottles of filtered water ready to roll (I drink a lot of water).
2. Toiletry water (i.e. brushing teeth, washing face, washing hands).
3. Dish washing water.
4. Washing machine water.
5. Cooking water.
6. Bathing water.
7. Toilet-flushing water. Yes. This is the worst one, in my opinion.

The lack of water situation happens more in the summer UNLESS there is some kind of building/remodeling going on, which seems to be the case today. Either way, to any of you who have stayed in Dom Erin here in Poltava and have giggled when checking out the "water balcony", I give you Exhibit A: my current waterless situation.

In reaction to my time in Africa, I began storing bottles of "reserve water" on one of my balconies. It does look kind of funny to see bottles and jars full of water hanging out on the balcony, but I'm really thankful for it today. It becomes really important to be able to flush the toilet after almost 24 hours.

Anyway, my annoyance has continued to grow all day today, as I mindlessly reach for the tap to wash my hands or dishes- only to remember that there is no water. I've been mentally grumbling and growling and allowing my irritation to grow until...

Maya and Vova stopped by. A group of friends are having a picnic today, but because of the fever I had going on last night, I decided I should probably pass on an outing. I let Maya know, and a few minutes ago, I answered the door to find Maya, Vova, and a beautiful flower waiting for me. They came to say "get well" and that they'll miss me on the picnic. Suddenly, my water situation doesn't seem quite so terrible. (Check back with me in a couple of hours...I might be back to growling)



1 comment:

bo said...

Hope you feel better soon - and that the water situation is quickly fixed. You forgot "heating water" - a must when relying on radiator heat. And it's cold!!!