Friday, April 23, 2010

Church out of the city

After my brief sojourn in the faraway land of Kiev, I hopped back on a bus and traveled 8.5 hours back to Dnepropetrovsk for a few more days with the Rays (if anyone wants to do the math on my bus/train time thus far: 4 hours from Poltava to Dnepr, 6 from Dnepr to Kiev, 8.5 from Kiev back to Dnepr). Bright and early Sunday morning, we loaded up and headed out of the city to visit a church that the Rays have been in contact with for several years.

The town we visited is, by no means, a village, but it's considerably smaller than Dnepr (not hard to do since Dnepr is the 3rd largest city in Ukraine). The town is called Marganets (clearly, that's the English transliteration), and there is much beautiful countryside to be seen between Dnepr and Marganets. Of course, I only know this because of the ride BACK to Dnepr- I slept pretty much the whole way TO Marganets. Something about long bus rides always does that to me the next day...

The church service consisted of two sermons (Mike preached one of them- in Russian), exactly 2 congregational hymns, several songs by the Rays, and approximately 1 jillion songs by a visiting women's ensemble from another church. Whew! Lots of songs. Lots of songs. After church, we were invited to join the ladies' ensemble for lunch in the church nursery/fellowship hall.

Crazy fact about Erin that should be inserted here: I am allergic to potatoes. I can't eat them. I used to be able to, and I used to love them, but now I can't eat them.

Vital fact about Ukraine that should be inserted here: The potato is the staple food item.

So, at lunch, I had to pick around the potatoes, which sparked questions about why I don't like Ukrainian food. Oi.

We finished off our evening with movies and popcorn back at the Ray apartment, AS WELL AS a skype-ed in viewing of my sister, Amiee, giving her senior voice recital. She was fantastic! This is something else I would not have been able to see/hear "in person" had volcanic ash not interfered.

The Rays, singing in Russian. Such talent.

More singing.

Posing with the primary pastor, visiting pastor, and ladies' ensemble.

This is a video of Mike and Linda Ray singing in Russian. The song is "I am the Lord (Do Not Fear)" by Grace Community Church in Nashville, TN (clearly, it's been translated into Russian :). Enjoy!

1 comment:

bo said...

So glad you got to hear your sister's voice recital "in person" via technology. That may even be better than singing Sound of Music songs on location.