Friday, September 19, 2008

Washington D.C.

Yesterday, we went to D.C. I love D.C.! So much. However, yesterday wasn't a sightseeing day; it was a cultural experience/ project day. Here are some pictures from our outing:

Stop #1: Kabobs and Rotisserie in Sketchtown, USA. It was soooo shady in that part of town, but the food was good. The menu was kind of Mediterranean-meets-Middle Eastern-meets-Indian. Such an experience.

Stop #2: St. Nicholas Orthodox Church. Totally different part of town. It was on Embassy Row, in fact. Unfortunately, no one was there. We couldn't get inside, but we did turn into creepers and press our faces to the windows to see. I have never seen anything quite that elaborate. There were floor to ceiling murals and ornate woodwork. There aren't any pews in Eastern Orthodox churches (worshipers stand for the service), but there were a few wooden chairs with signs reserving them for the elderly and disabled.

This picture of Jesus (we think) was over one of the side doors. Let me know what you think.

Mini Ukrainian lesson: Prince Volodymir introduced Orthodoxy into Ukraine, following his political marriage to an Orthodox-background princess. This plaque says: "Saint Vladimir, equal to the apostles, grand prince of Kiev."

My group: Amy, Mary, Mary Ann, and me. We all happen to live in the same quad, as well. Mary and Mary Ann will also be in Ukraine, just not in my part of the country. Prince Vladimir is in the background here.
Ok. If you know me, you know why this was a great moment in my life. I really am doing "V for victory," not a peace sign.

Stop #3: There's a story here. We left the Orthodox church, seeking the metro. Unfortunately, we missed a turn somewhere that caused us to walk the ENTIRE length of Embassy Row. Such a neat experience to see all the embassies and flags. We passed the Islamic center. I'm not sure if you can see the massive row of flags; I love flags, so it was cool to try to identify them. It was also a neat prayer opportunity.

It was a long and full day, but a really great outing. I'm tired today though...

7 comments:

joshua.pettigrew1 said...

yes I am pretty sure that is Jesus

Jamie said...

Love all the pictures! Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Jaclyn.... said...

I am so incredibly sad that I had to stay home!!!!!
:(
But I'm so glad you had a good time!
Thanks for taking pictures for me!

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!! I finally caught up! Well, with reading your blog anyway. I am keeping up with you through your Mamá actually!

Taking you before HIM,
Señora

Tiffani said...

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures and updates! I can't wait to see you when you come here. I have bronchitis this weekend, and Kenzie had an ear infection and virus. Everything has been going well, but we can't wait to visit with you! We love having updates, and LOVE your blog! I hope you get to see our new kitchen floor! Love you lots, have more great journies, and we can't wait to see you!

Love always, The Anniston Goulets!!
Have a blessed day! You are in our prayers for a good week!

John Wilson said...

Whoo hoo Erin! I am lovin it! Keep the updates a flowin!

Unknown said...

erin n winston = bff

you have the books on tape to prove it!!!