Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Halfway point

This week, we are officially halfway through training. That is really unbelievable to me. It feels like the following:
1. I've known these people for MUCH longer than four weeks.
2. we just got here.
3. I have so much more to learn.
4. I'm going to be leaving for Ukraine REALLY soon.

Those last two are especially true. In less than two months, I'll be in Ukraine (probably freezing). That thought is simultaneously crazy and very much sinking in. I'm both excited and unprepared. However...I'm not sure there is a way to be fully prepared. I think I'll just to move and then adapt.

Here are some Ukrainian facts:
1. Crimea, the region in the south of Ukraine, is the Crimean part of the Crimean War. "The Charge of the Light Brigade" anyone? Yep. That happened in Ukraine.
2. A popular dish in Ukraine is salo. Any guesses as to what it is? First one to get the answer wins a prize.
3. Borshch, which is traditionally associated with Russia, originated in Ukraine. It's usually served with smetana (sour cream). It's good. You should all come visit and give it a try.
4. Alcohol is very prominent in Ukrainian culture. In fact, kvas is a soft drink made from beer. It's that common.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I looked it up--does that count? It is like cooked bacon or lard--kinda like pork skins--supposedly very tasty!

Anonymous said...

do they have an age limit on who can drink? (i'm guessing not!)

Heather Paul said...

Hooray, I now also feel so connected to you. Don't you love the blogging world? Love the blog, I can relate so much to what you're saying. Peace!

Unknown said...

i know it feels like you just got there, but i feel like you've been there forever :(

but i will be praying for you as you complete your journey.

ps- i'm officially your number 1 fan because i commented on EVERY blog... i love you THAT much