Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ok, a real update!

Well, I put the last vestiges of my family on a plane this morning. It was quite sad. I was a wee bit teary as I left the airport (at 4:50 am, due to their 6:45 am flight!), and even the taxi driver felt sorry for me. He tried to make small talk on the way to the train station, but I was having difficulty keeping it up (what with the sniffing and all), so he eventually surrendered to the silence.

On the train, I made a new friend: Slavik. He is studying at a university in New York. He heard me answer my phone and realized I was American. We then proceeded to chat for the next 3 hours.

Once arriving back in Poltava, I decided to take a taxi home rather than the bus (I was just ready to get home...). My taxi driver was SO chatty and wanted to inform me about various and sundry Ukrainian holidays. It was really cute. I'm quite glad he did, because I'd already forgotten that tomorrow is Old New Year. Yes, you read that correctly: OLD New Year. It has to do with the Orthodox calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_New_Year). Last year, I woke up at 4:00 am to my doorbell ringing incessantly...the handiwork of young boys who go around to wish everyone a good year (they throw grain into your home and sing and expect you to give them some money). Thanks to Mr. Taxi Man, I'll remember to sleep with earplugs. :)

Last week, we celebrated Ukrainian Christmas (January 7), which was very fun and exciting. On Sunday, Amiee sang in church, and everyone loved it! On Monday, we tried our hands at making a copycat Chick-fil-a recipe for chicken nuggets. It was so good! Granted, it wasn't exactly the same (I mean, we were aiming pretty high), but it was sooo good. Tuesday, we trained into Kiev and nearly froze to death. Sadly, this morning was D(eparture)- day. I am now somewhat moping while doing some cleaning around the apartment.

Family: please know that there is even MORE snow outside! And, this journey to Kiev and back was just chock full of friendly taxi drivers. What luck! Miss you!

Happy Old New Year, everyone!

Amiee and Mom at the mall

Amiee singing in church...sorry it's so dark. I was camera inept this particular day.

Amiee and me after church. We're looking all smart in our glasses.

Great Chicken Experiment 2010: success!

When we spent the night in Kiev, we took the supplies to watch a movie: Netbook, dvd apparatus, external speakers, and tv stand (aka, chair). Clever, yes?

2 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

1. What a blessing that you got to be with your family!

2. I've had my share of chatty taxi drivers... I get you.

3. We also have old new year. What a nutty name, but it's fun to celebrate doubly.

4. cute pics!

Molly said...

This was a good one, Erincita! I LOVE that yall did a chick-fil-a copycat recipe! I LOVE the movie setup. We always do that on trips too. Very clever! Sounds like a fun but very busy time you've had. I'm glad you made a new friend on the trek home! Miss you and thinking of you often!