Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

My building isn't one of those super tall, 9 floor monstrosities that can be found all over the city. Mine is much smaller and more of a community. There's a group of babushki (little old ladies...hold the little) that mingle on the bench in the shade right outside the door. I always greet them when I head out or come back in. They've even started smiling at me and appreciating my Russian. Today, I had a moment.

The city is going to be adjusting the pipes in my building over the weekend- meaning that I won't have water in my apartment for about 3 days. Fabulous. Well, there's a sign mentioning all of this on the front door of the building. I read it on my way in this afternoon, groaning a little. On the stairs, I greeted one of the babushki who was walking ahead of me. All of a sudden, she turned around and started asking me if I'd read the sign. She wanted to make sure that I fully understood that there wouldn't be water and that I was prepared. So neighborly.

I love my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We expected to see new photos from your visitors there! Brammer's/Huntsville!