Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...

Currently, I'm sitting on my bed, eating watermelon, wearing a glittery American t-shirt, and listening to country music that sings about the US. I love the 4th of July. I always have. It's one of my very favorite holidays. Chances are, I'll even get to see some fireworks (Ukrainians shoot fireworks off a couple of time a week on a regular basis...maybe they'll choose today!).

Because I'm not in my country on her birthday, I'm going to make a list of my favorite things about America (in no particular order):
1. Southern hospitality. It is not universal.
2. Air conditioning. Also not universal.
3. Ease and convenience of travel.
4. Ironically, Mexican food.
5. Free refills and ice in your drinks.
6. Customer service.
7. Family holiday get-togethers.
8. English-speaking church services. Although, let me say that it is a blessing to me to be able to worship with Ukrainian brothers and sisters.
9. I love that when you come into the international arrivals terminal of airports, there's a line that says "American Citizens Only." It warms my heart.
10. I love that there are men and women who faithfully serve our country every day to protect our way of life.

I know that it's very popular around the world to rag on the United States. I've even heard an appalling number of Americans complain about and make disparaging comments about the States. As one who lives in a foreign country (and this post does NOT mean that I don't love living where the Lord has me currently), I have such a deep appreciation for my home country. I live in a place that toiled away under Communism for years and years. Even now, 18 years after gaining independence, remnants of the Soviet way of life are still alive and well. Opportunity and freedom do not abound here. I'm often reminded of how no other military on the planet gets criticized as often as ours, even though those men and women are giving up so much to serve their country...whether or not they agree with everything they have to do. Because our country values individual and national freedoms, Americans are given so much more opportunity. Please don't forget how blessed by God we Americans are to grow up in and live in and be protected by the United States of America.

Happy 4th of July!

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Happy 4th, Erin!

Jaclyn.... said...

yay for celebrating the 4th in other countries! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed wearing that glitter shirt. I proudly donned my red, white, and blue, too, lifting my chin just a little bit higher today! :)

Ms. Teach said...

Amen, Sister!!!

Elizabeth said...

well said!!

I hope you got to see some fireworks!