Thursday, July 2, 2009

Graduation Party

Ukrainians in Poltava just celebrated graduation. Incidentally, I also celebrated their graduation. My church, along with three other churches in the city, hosted a graduation party for high school and university graduates. What did this entail? Oh, just staying up all night and then going to watch the sunrise with all the other graduates in Poltava!

We had English club from 6-8. After that, Mindy, Tuesdae, and Page (summer workers) came home with me to hang out and get ready. It would've taken them about 45 minutes to go home, just to wait around, get ready, and return. So, we decided to watch Gilmore Girls and get ready here...and only deal with 5 minutes of walking time to the church.

We got dressed up and headed to the church at 11:00pm. There was a red-carpet entrance and everything. Alas, I did not get a picture of the red carpet... Maybe next year. The youth from the church had a program of dramas and games that lasted us for about 5 hours. We also had a fantastic feast. I totally overate.

Nastia, Tuesdae, Page, Mindy, and Olya

Mindy, Page, and Tuesdae getting ready for the food.

Nastia and me: pre-long night picture

Nathan, Radik, and David pre-feast. Please note the guys' ties. They rummaged through the shkaff in their apartment and borrowed those. They were quite...um...impressive ties.

At 4:30, we all trekked up to the White Rotunda/Arbor on the hill and watched the sunrise. After that, I felt like I wasn't going to be able to move for the rest of the week. It's quite a hike...especially at 4:30 in the morning!

A really really small fraction of the crowd waiting for the sunrise.

Me and Nastia: post-all night picture. Check out the bags under my eyes...I'm getting too old for this.

Silhouette of the monastery.

Sun! Time for bed.

Mindy...and Wei.

No comments: