Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hello World. I just love your surprises.

Today started with a bang. And sparks. And smoke. And a power outage.

My UKRAINIAN-PURCHASED hairdryer fried itself. And the electricity in the apartment. This was very poor timing because we were supposed to be meeting the Rowlands at the Transport College to teach a couple of classes (yes, I had my big, official farewell a few weeks ago. Little did I know that I'd be back...). My landlord has never shown me where the breaker for the apartment is, and I'm totally sketched out by electricity over here, so I haven't gone exploring.

The electricity going out meant only one thing: I had to call the landlord. Dun dun dun.

I braced myself and called his house. Thankfully, his wife is more adept at understanding my telephone Russian (it's much MUCH more difficult to speak and understand over the phone) and told me he'd be right over. I really like her.

He was here in about 5 minutes, and I contritely explained my situation. I then proceeded to enable him to open the breaker box- with the use of one of my butter knives. The positive outcome of this situation is that I now know where everything is and how to break into it. Victory.

The pesky fiend.

We actually made it to class on time (whew!) and had a very good first class and a mediocre second class. We then got to go upstairs for tea with the director and deputy director of the school. Whilst there, I found a subtle tribute to my alma mater hanging in Igor's office. Yes!

Oh yes. UU.

1 comment:

bo said...

Way to "spread the fame!" So did you sing to him about UU in accordance with our alma mater instructions or just speak it?

Sorry about the hair dryer. Hope you don't have to air dry for the rest of your stay:)