Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Expedition

This past Sunday, I embarked on an expedition. It was exciting and super fun.

Last March, I had the flu (not the swine flu- just the regular one). In total Erin style, I decided to become a part of pop culture while I was sick; I read/listened to the "Twilight" saga. I have a thing about reading literature that is really culturally popular (anyone remember my "Harry Potter" phenomenon?). So, I checked out the whole "Twilight" situation.

For those of you who aren't aware (although, I have difficulty imagining that there are many of you out there), the second book in the series was recently made into a movie ("New Moon"). Well, last week, my friends, Vika and Natasha, invited me to go see "New Moon" with them in the theater.

IN UKRAINIAN.

I don't study Ukrainian; I study Russian. I decided, however, that this could be a great adventure. So, I roped Nastia into joining us, as well, and off we went.

The theater made me feel like I was back in America for about 2 hours. It was so posh and fancy. I was the only one who didn't buy snacks at the grocery store; I have a thing about movie popcorn. I love it. The Ukrainians scoffed at my purchase of overpriced popcorn, but I thoroughly enjoyed that popcorn!

Now, Ukrainian and Russian are totally different languages, but they are related, so I wasn't completely lost during the movie (along with the fact that I a. know the story and b. can read lips if the situation becomes dire). I really enjoyed watching Vika's, Natasha's, and Nastia's reactions. It was super fun! I'm sure you wished you'd been there.

My friends look like models (Vika and Nastia). This is while we were waiting for Natasha to arrive. P.S. This is not a Christmas tree; this would be a New Year's tree.

Natasha arrived!

Popcorn and tickets. We like to document everything.

In the theater, take 1 (Nastia, Natasha, me).

Take 2. I wish y'all could meet these girls. They are so wonderful!

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

1. You're so brave---going to a foreign foreign language movie! :) At least Ukrainian and Russian are related.

2. You're friends seem awesome--what a blessing.

3. Sooo feel ya on the New Year's tree.