Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's not normally my style, but...

My reading materials around this place are a little slim. Correction: my reading materials in ENGLISH are a little slim. However, my supervisor's wife, the lovely Mrs. Linda, graciously supplies me with whatever reading material she has available.

Right after I arrived here, she sent me home with mountains of books. Among these books was a series of six books (I have since learned that there is a seventh! I'm currently scheming to acquire it from the States...), entitled The Russians by Michael Philips and Judith Pella. This series is a kind of Christian-romance-historical-fiction. Normally, this is SO not my style. At all. However, when the pickin's are slim, I'll read whatever.

I started to read these books at the end of January. Even with the 16 classes per week, I've finished all six books, Rachel has finished five, and Hannah has finished four. We just keep passing them. We're somewhat addicted.

Why?

Because: these books are set in tsarist-pre-revolution Russia and follow the lives of several families whose stories are intertwined. I've always been somewhat fascinated by the Romanovs and the events leading up to the rise of Communism, and these books take that information and couch it in interesting storylines. The stories are especially interesting to those of us in Ukraine, because of the Slavic culture presented in the stories.

With the danger of sounding like "Reading Rainbow," I would highly recommend these books to anyone interested in the history of Russia/USSR, anyone who likes a good and twisting story, or anyone planning to visit/live in Slavic countries.

Happy reading!

No comments: