Monday, July 7, 2008

Oh, how I'd love to disapparate...

I hate airports. I do. Flying used to be such a fun thing: the excitement of different airports, the various and sundry folk you can bump into in airports, the movies on the places, the snacks, the tiny Coke cans that European airlines sometimes serve. It was all so grand.

Not any more.

I hate it that airport workers can almost never be friendly. You have to ration your carry-on toiletries. You now have to pay for your checked luggage. You can only take 50 lbs in one suitcase. Please let me just say that it boggles my mind when I look at my two teeny suitcases and my growing list of items I'd like to take with me for the next two years. Gee whiz... I guess one positive thing resulting from Tornado Trauma 2008 is that I can totally live with way less stuff than I thought I could. Cell phone and pillow only, anyone?

Back to flying: I have terrible misfortunes when traveling. Key cities in which disaster has struck: Johannesburg, South Africa; Paris, France; London, England; Charlotte, North Carolina. Those are just the places where I've been traumatized. For some reason, I look like a trouble maker to airport security. If anyone will be pulled aside and security wanded/ patted down/ interrogated, it will probably be me.

If only there was another way...

7 comments:

Ben said...

I have a tip: Buy a Chelsea jersey :P

Jamie said...

I do not see how you are going to get it all packed. My hats off to you. I am a terrible packer. :)

Molly said...

Dearest Darlingest Erin,
I completely understand your new dilemma. Since we have been flying since practically before we can remember, life has changed drastically in the air travel world. After my most recent air travel trip, I realized life would be easier if we could disapparate. I'll be praying that either you learn to do so, or that things work out really well with the air travel experience for you! If anyone can do this, it's you, dearest of Erins!
Happy Packing!

Tiffani said...

Oh Yoyo! Hopefully your mom, dad and Maimee can bring you some when they come for the holidays! I don't know how you can pick and choose which wonderful things you can take with you! I know you can do it though! Glad to see you have a blog and we can keep in touch while you are gone!

Love you- Tiffani

P.S. Mackenzie says YOYO! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I just got it and learned a new word--silly me thought a Chelsea jersey would be light!

Anonymous said...

reading the title to this brought a little joy to my life!

Unknown said...

remember that time that i lost my license and finally had to head to the airport without it...

oh, philly...