Monday, May 18, 2009

Back up...birthday post

Well, last Monday was my birthday. Here's a document of the festivities:

Rachel was assigned to take me for a walk while 30 Ukrainians sneaked into the house. When we got back to the house, Ira, Tanya, and Nastia were in the foyer, singing 'Happy Birthday' and waiting for me with tasks. The tasks all had challenges in Russian: offering vocabulary, matching nouns and verbs, fill-in-the-blank, SING A SONG, and translate.

This was my translation task. It took me a loooooong time. But, I have to say, it was very sweet.

The tasks formed a path, leading from the front door to my bedroom door. After I completed my last task, I opened my bedroom door and found about 26 Ukrainians crammed in there! They then sang a song (see picture above...this was their cheat sheet) to me! It's part-English, part-Russian.

Then, they presented me with this certificate for a good effort in trying to speak Russian. They're too kind...

Ukrainians always take their shoes off when entering a house. Problem: they were trying to surprise me by hiding, so they couldn't leave the shoes by the front door. They had taken everyone's shoes and thrown them out on the balcony. So clever.

Ira-party-planner-Varyanetsa. She's fabulous. She planned this whole thing while studying for and taking finals all week!

Part of the Party Crew! People came and went at random intervals. This crowd stuck around for a while.

We taught them how to play Spoons. We had to use Uno cards instead of face cards, though.

Other side of the room...check out the really intense faces. They were focused.

The Rachel-and-Hannah side of the circle. Nastia (3 from the left) stuck in to the end...up against the 3, experienced Americans. Impressive.

Oops...Marina wasn't quite fast enough. She was so close, and yet, no cigar. Or rather, spoon.

The part of my sweet birthday crew that stayed to the very end. Precious.

I had such a wonderful birthday!

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

Too sweet!
Sounds like you had quite the birthday extravaganza! It's wonderful to have good national friends.