Saturday, September 12, 2009

Alabama Team Recap: Classes!

So much happened in this past week! A group from my home church came and spent a very productive week teaching classes in two of the local colleges and then leading English clubs in the evenings. They were incredible to work with and did a fantastic job. I'd like to give special recognition to my mom, who spent many, many hours gathering supplies for this project, crafting the best method of designing/packing/preparing, and leading one of the two groups that taught in the schools. She is quite the Wonder Woman. I'm going to post pictures (and provide commentary...what am I if not a world-class commentator?) of the project in phases. Here are pictures from our two schools.

Amiee, Chris, Bro. John, and I were at the Poltava Agrarian College. This is my teaching action shot.

The primary draw of inviting Americans to come to class is so that students can practice speaking with native speakers. For most teaching days, we split into groups and led the students in guided conversations, using question prompts. Sometimes it was easy, sometimes it wasn't so easy...I think this is Amiee's "this is similar to pulling teeth" face.

Bro. John didn't meet a stranger all week.

Also in group time: decide which adjectives describe your assigned country. Great time to learn the definitions of "rugged" and "Mediterranean." Please try explaining the meaning of rugged in small words.

The girls were very interested in using all of the words they could to describe China.

Teams working VERY enthusiastically on speed spelling.

Depending on the enthusiasm level of the class, this spelling game could go on for a loooooong time. It's super.

First team done. They all kind of looked like models.

Amiee leading more group discussion. I think she got more out of this group.


So, Tuesday was an adventuresome day for me. I ended up with the other team at a different school for part of the day. Here are two shots of one of the day's activities.

Winning team! Adam helped them think out the support for their structure. They might not have won without him.

No comments: