Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I will always and forever be writing lesson plans...

All last semester- come rain, come shine, come life-disrupting tornado- I spent my time writing lesson plans. Summer was supposed to bring a hiatus in lesson planning until around October. False.

For my summer trip to Ukraine, I'm leading the part of our group that will be teaching English at a Ukrainian English camp. It's a camp for college students/ young adults who want to work on their English skills. Amiee and I worked at this camp last year, and it was so great. This year, more of our group is going with us. They are great people: full of energy and excitement...the only catch is that none of them have taught ESL before. So, I've been crash-course training them HOW to teach, and of course, I've also been writing all the lesson plans. Good thing I've had so much practice.

I've been putting that degree of mine to good use: writing lesson plans, creating ways to integrate kinesthetic activity into those lessons, etc. We've also been making all of the flashcards, games, and whatnot to use in class. It's not really my thing, but everybody else is great at it.

Amiee, Rachel, Ryan, and Katie

Katie, Amiee, and Me

Katie and Amiee and the tic-tac-toe boards
that happen to be the colors of the Ukrainian flag.


I've written five days' worth of lesson plans for two different ability levels. However, I have not planned out one single thing for the class that I'm supposed to be teaching. Yikes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin! I really like the design of your blog. I will definitely be keeping up with your writings. I feel your pain on the lesson plans, by the way.

A fellow English major,
Heather

Unknown said...

i love these pictures. they are wonderful.

hope chattanooga with big, bad, brad was all you dreamed and more!

plus, you are so lucky to have an artistic sister to aide you in your lesson planning endeavors.

and yes, you will apparently be doing lesson plans for eternity. at least you're really good at it!

and i will always be around to play your lesson plan games with you. even if it does have to be done over skype!