Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fellowship

The first Sunday of the month is very special to me. While going to church is still overwhelming because of a) being one of only 3 non-Ukrainians and b) language barrier, the first Sunday makes my heart glad. Why? Communion.

I've grown up being a Communion-once-a-quarter girl. It's always been special to me. After arriving here, I've learned a whole new appreciation for it.

Here's how it works:
1. Everyone begins seated.

2. As the deacons come around with the plates of actual broken crackers, if you are planning to partake, you stand when they near your row. Now, at first, I kind of balked at the idea. I thought, "If you don't feel as though you can participate one week, everyone is going to know and that would be embarrassing." I've since changed my mind. I now see it in the light of making an intentional choice to take part in communion. I've also learned not to be so vain...I've learned that people really aren't watching.

3. After accepting your cracker, you stand and pray as long as you want to. You eat your cracker when you're ready. You can remain standing or you can sit.

4. When everyone has been served, the congregation stands and prays together.

5. Then comes the wine. Being the grape-juice-only girl for my whole life, this was an adjustment. I've decided that I still prefer grape juice.

6. The process is the same as for the bread. However, each side of the church is served by 2 deacons: one carries the tray of individual cups, and one carries the common cup. I use the individual cups. This process goes in shifts; the individual cups come around first, so only part of the crowd stands. The common cup comes next, and the remaining people in the crowd stand to take that cup.

7. We all stand and pray again.

I love Communion days because I am reminded of how my God speaks every language, reads every heart, and offered Himself for every soul. Nothing is sweeter than that.

1 comment:

jimmy said...

I love communion stories! On my first, as the leader, I forgot which came first, the bread, or the wine. So at the end of the year, my students gave me a 3-page primer, entitled, naturally enough, "Communion Made Easy."
Page 1... "The Bread." Page 2... "The Wine." A good laugh for them and for me, and a story, and a memory, that has lasted through a lifetime. Communions have that effect, I suppose. Thanks for sharing!